Hans Er Dim Kosha - hard boiled duck eggs cooked in spicy gravy
|Hans Er Dim Kosha|
With temperature dropping rapidly, my desire gobbling up spicy oily food increases rapidly. No matter how busy my week is, my weekend always incorporates creates at least one dish that can make my stomach and soul happy at the same time. Plus it makes my loved ones happy too.
So today when my sweet Mother told me that today’s show stopper is “Hans Er Dim”(duck’s egg), I could not help myself but cooking this lovely eggs the true bong style,”Hans Er Dim Kosha” which is hard boiled duck eggs cooked in spicy gravy.
As the cherry on top, I could manage to cook this dish over the wood fire, the traditional way, which a total delight for me. Plus the heat from wood fire managed to combat the cold feeling. The wood fire added a beautiful & distinct flavour of smoke which makes any dish just awesome!
So here is the recipe....
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Preparation time: 10 minutes
1. Hard boiled duck eggs: 8 pcs.
2. Potato 3, cut into 4 pcs
3. Ginger paste 2 inch, made into paste
4. Garlic paste 10 pcs, made into paste
5. Green chilli paste 1 tsp
6. Tomato 1,chopped
7. Red chilli powder 2 tsp
8. Turmeric powder 2 tsp
9. Onion 1,chopped
10. Onion 3, made into paste
11. Bay leaves 2
12. Cardamom 2pods
13. Cinnamon 2 pcs
14. Sugar ½ teaspoon
15. Salt , as per taste
16. Oil 3 tablespoon
17. Water 1 cup
1. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the eggs and potatoes in turns and keep aside.
2. In the same oil put the bay leaves, crushed cardamom and cinnamon.
3. When the aromatic smell releases, add the chopped onion and tomatoes.
4. When the onions and tomatoes are mushy, add the ginger-garlic-chilli-onion paste and keep stirring.
5. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, salt and sugar and stir well.
6. Lower the heat, add a little water at a time and keep stirring. This is very crucial step of any Bengali dish and it is called “Koshano”. Do not hurry. Slowly stir the whole mixture until the oil is released. This step might take 10 minutes roughly.
7. Now pour the potato pieces and eggs. Stir well for another 5 minutes.
8. Now add water and let it simmer for 5 minutes until the gravy is thick.
9. Your hans er dim kosha is ready. Serve with steamed rice.
There is nothing better than hot steamed rice with this simple spicy egg curry. Make it simple and authentic. You really need not to fuss with loads of spices to create exotic dishes like this.
So cook this dish at home and enjoy!!!
Like us on facebook : facebook
Thanks for stopping by.