Hello everyone!! The heat has been increased quite a lot and you have no choice of getting a splash of extra cold breeze in this hot and humid city. All you can do is cook great food and have great food, of course in generous amount. 😜😀😀
So, here I am with today’s recipe – “Doi Katla”. The scientific name of Katla is Catla Catla. The Katla or Catla fish is a common staple of a Bengali everyday meal. Usually we prepare a “jhol” of this fish with potato and other spices. But when your “chef side” is insisting you to create something incredible out of a simple ingredient, you create such a dish “Doi Katla”. The firm fresh pieces of Katla fish is cooked in rich creamy gravy made of hung curd, ginger-garlic-onion, cashew nuts and other spices and served with loads of love.
There are numerous recipes of Doi Katla in internet, but I could not find a perfect recipe which could justify the dish. I believe that unnecessary species just ruin the flavour and authenticity of the dish. This dish is supposed to be creamy white rich gravy with perfect blend of spices. There is no need of turmeric, tomato, chilli powder or anything else which may ruin the colour and texture of the dish. So, I tried to develop a recipe which is similar to the authentic recipe.
Preparation time: 00
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serve: 8 people
Katla fish 8 pieces
Onion 2(big in size) – 1 chopped, 1 pasted
Ginger paste 2 1/2 spoon
Garlic paste 1 spoon
Green chilli paste 2-3 spoon
Curd 150 grams (beaten)
Cashew nuts 8-10 paste
Vegetable oil ½ cup
Coriander powder ½ spoon
Cumin powder ½ spoon
Garam masala powder ¼ spoon
Bay leaves 2
Cinnamon stick 2”
Cardamom 1 piece
Water 1 cup
Salt as per taste
1. Wash fish pieces, pat dry and marinade with salt.
2. Heat ¼ cup oil in a pan and fry the fish pieces. Keep aside.
3. In same oil pour the remaining oil and heat properly. Add the bay leaves cardamom and cinnamon. When they release aroma add the chopped onion and fry until they are golden.
4. Now add ginger-garlic paste and fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. When the raw smell goes away add onion and chilli paste and fry well.
5. Now add the cashew paste and curd and stir continuously. Add salt.
6. When the oil released from the gravy add water.
7. After 2 minutes add fish pieces and cover the pan and cook on medium flame for 7-10 minutes or until the fish pieces are cooked nicely and gravy is thick and creamy.
8. Now sprinkle the garam masala and cover for 2 minutes.
9. Your doi Katla is ready. Garnish and serve with piping hot rice.
Without any guilt just gobble up the creamy gravy along with the fresh fish pieces! If you want you can add turmeric, but personally I like the white colour of my Gravy because according me, the main ingredient is curd here and true flavour & colour of this ingredient is completely ruined when turmeric is added.
Cook great food! Eat great food without guilt! Because food is life!
If you like my recipe, please feel free to like, comment and share as much as possible. In case you did not know, here is the facebook link of my page Kasturi's Spice Tale. Please do like for more such recipes.
Thank you for stopping by.