Shorshe Ilish... Hilsa blended with mustard paste, poppy seeds, oil, turmeric powder and cooked with love...

Shorshe Ilish

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers in the world!!!

With the increased heat in Kolkata and 5 hours long journey from my home to office and back, I almost forgot about my baby i.e. this blog “Kasturi’s Spice Tale”. But I kept cooking for my own refreshment and soothing my tired heart with great food all these days. There is a bunch of recipes to share with you folks!
Today’s creation is my own favourite “Shorshe Ilish” –the direct way to a bong’s heart! Ilish might occupy half of a bong’s heart and for me? It feels like divine when I pour a piece of this exotic fish in my mouth!!
Ilish or Hilsa is known as the queen of Water and I think the name is more than just perfect and also beautifully justified for this fish! It can be cooked in so many different ways. But today’s special is the good old “Shorshe Ilish” which I obtained from my mother's cookbook (she is an excellent cook). The creamy oily soft pieces of Hilsa blended with mustard paste, oil ,turmeric and its own flavour just melts in your mouth like a mouse and gives your taste buds a perfect kick and a whole bucket of pleasure to your heart.



This recipe takes less time and efforts,but requires a huge amount of love 💓 and the outcome is mesmerising!

Let’s straight go to the recipe details.....
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Ingredients:
Hilsha or Ilish fish 4 pcs.
Mustard paste 2 spoon
Poppy seeds paste 1 spoon
Kaffir lime (গন্ধরাজ লেবু) juice 1 ½   spoon
Kaffir lime leaves 2-3
Green chilli paste 1 spoon or  more depending on your quest for heat
Water ¼ cup
Turmeric ½ spoon
Nigella seeds ¼ spoon
Oil 2-3 spoon
Salt as per taste
Method:
   1.Wash and pat dry the fish pieces. Marinade them with all the mentioned ingredients except the leaves, Nigella seeds and half the oil. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
   2.Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add the Nigella seeds. when the seeds starts spluttering , add the marinated fish pieces along with the excess marinade.
   3.Lower the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then gently fold the fish pieces upside down and again cook for 2-3 minutes.
   4.Now pour the water and cook for 7-8 minutes more or until the gravy is thickened.
   5.Now put the lime leaves over the fish pieces in such a way that they don’t immerse in gravy, otherwise the gravy will form a bitter taste. Cover the pan for 1-2 minutes and serve with hot rice.
   

This recipe is simple yet delicious. Do try this at home and let me know how you feel.
if you like this recipe please feel free to like my page on facebook Kasturi's Spice Tale for more recipes.
   Thanks for stopping by...
   XOXO,
   Kasturi

Comments