Begun kalojire die Ilish Machh er Jhol - Hilsa fish cooked in a stew alongwith eggplant and other spices


Begun diye Ilish Mach er Jhol
Hey foodies! after a long time I am again back with my recipes. Got super busy and lazy at the same time and that kept me away from working on my blog, though I kept cooking something now and then during this period of time. I took my first solo trip to Santiniketan, West Bengal and it was a lifetime experience not because of the place itself but because of the way I conquered my fear of being alone, travelling alone and enjoy my own company. I will write up one blog post about my first ever solo trip.


I am back with one more recipe of my favorite fish Hilsa. Soft succulent pieces if fresh hilsa fish are pure bliss. for some lazy days, my mother usually prepares a light stew of this fish and serve with steamed hot rice. This lunch takes away all my stress and life issues 😉
Usually, in Bengali household, we bring JORA ILISH (two hilsa fishes together) and they are cooked without any added spice. In childhood, the main attraction of Saraswati Puja was this Hilsa Stew and wearing Saree.
So this is a fuss free recipe and the fish is preferably cooked in a light stew with minimal spices along with eggplants and tempering of nigella seeds.
so here is the recipe:
Ilish Mach

Ingredients:

Hilsa fish pieces 4 pcs
Nigella seeds 1/4 teaspoon
Green chili paste 1 tablespoon
Red chili powder 1 teaspoon
Mustard oil 1 tablespoon + 1 tablespoon for stew
Eggplant 1pc small size , cut into big cubes
Turmeric powder 1 teaspoon
Salt as per taste
Sugar one pinch
Water 1 cup


Method:


Marinade the fish pieces with all the ingredients except the oil and nigella seeds and keep for 15 minutes.


Now heat half oil in a pan. When oil is hot, fry the eggplants for 2-3 minutes and keep aside.


Now add the nigella seeds and wait until it splutters.


Add fish pieces along with the marinade.


Fry  on low heat until the raw smell disappears.


Now add water and let it boil.

Now add eggplants and let it cook along with the fish on medium heat until it is perfectly cooked.

Serve with steamed hot rice.


Also read : Doi Katla, Shorshe Ilish


Do try it at home on your weekend brunch and treat your taste buds with a traditional Bengali delicacy.
Please do share because sharing is caring!

Comments